Dog Man by Day Pilkey
The book series “Dog Man” is a popular children’s graphic novel series created by author and illustrator Dav Pilkey.
The series follows the adventures of a half-dog, half-human police officer named Dog Man. The story begins when a police dog named Greg loses his life in the line of duty and is brought back to life with the head of a police officer and the body of a dog through a successful surgery. As Dog Man, he fights crime and protects the city.
The “Dog Man” series combines elements of both comics and traditional chapter books, making it a hybrid graphic novel. It features a visually appealing style with colorful illustrations and a comic book format, including speech bubbles and panels.
Here’s why the “Dog Man” series is useful for children to explore reading comics:
- Visual Appeal: Comics provide a visual medium that can captivate young readers. The colourful illustrations in “Dog Man” help bring the story to life and make it more engaging.
- Reading Comprehension: Reading comics requires children to interpret visual cues such as facial expressions, action sequences, and panel arrangements. This helps improve their reading comprehension and visual literacy skills.
- Storytelling Format: The combination of text and visuals in comics encourages children to follow a narrative, understand plot structure, and develop sequencing skills as they move from one panel to the next. It also introduces them to the concept of dialogue and character development.
- Reluctant Readers: Some children who may be reluctant readers often find comics more approachable and less intimidating than traditional chapter books. The combination of illustrations and concise text in “Dog Man” can help build confidence in reading and motivate children to explore more books.
- Humor and Entertainment: The “Dog Man” series is known for its humor, witty wordplay, and slapstick comedy. This comedic element can make reading enjoyable for children, encouraging them to continue reading and fostering a love for books.
Main Focus: Word Class- Ch 2
In this activity, your class must identify by highlighting the different classes of words used in each sentences.
This resource focuses on: nouns, verbs, adjectives, time connectives and prepositions.Unlock Resource
Main Focus: Vocabulary Extension – Chapter 2
In this activity, your LKS2 class will read the letter with the missing words. Using the provided word bank, they will examine the words, identify their meanings and fill in the blanks with the appropriate words.
This resource is differentiated 3 ways so you can choose which best suits your kids.Unlock Resource
Main Focus: Past/Present – Chapter 2
In this resource designed for Year 3 and Year 4 classes, your children will match the present tense verbs with the past tense equivalents.
This resource linked to past and present tenses is differentiated 5 ways.Unlock Resource
Main Focus: Alphabetical Order – Chapter 3
Based on Chapter 3 of ‘Dog Man’, your class will read through chapter 3 to find nouns, adjectives, and verbs. Using these words, the students will then arrange them in alphabetical order.
This resource is differentiated 4 ways.Unlock Resource
Main Focus: Contractions
In this resource, your class will identify the contracted words and determine the two words that were combined to form the contraction.
We have differentiated this activity 4 ways.
Main Focus: Comprehension – BTS
This comprehension activity is related to ‘Dog Man’ and is aimed for lower Key Stage 2 students.
In this activity, we have provided a set of questions related to the ‘Behind the Scenes’ section of Dog Man. This resource is designed to assess your students’ understanding of the passage by answering the comprehensive questions.Unlock Resource
Main Focus: Grammar
This resource is aimed towards lower key stage 2. We have highlighted words in sentences taken from ‘Dog Man’ your class will then determine the class of each word. This could be anything from, noun, verb, adjective, adverb or time connective.
This resource is differentiated 3 ways.Unlock Resource
Main Focus: Punctuation
In this activity your class will have to read the passage and rewrite is with the correct punctuation in the sentences, adding in capital letters, commas, exclamation marks, question marks, inverted commas, apostrophes and full stops.
We have differentiated this resource, creating 7 different work sheets.Unlock Resource
Main Focus: Synonyms
Synonyms are words that have the same or similar meaning.
Your class will read the passage taken from ‘Dog Man’ and add in the appropriate synonyms for the words provided in bold.
This resource is differentiated 3 ways.
Main Focus: Comic Strip
In this activity, your class will have the opportunity to explore the various elements involved in creating their own comic strip. They will use the planning template provided, then your students will be able to create their very own comic strip!
Comic strip and planning templates provided.Unlock Resource
Main Focus: Spelling & Alphabetical Order
This activity is linked to Chapters 2, 3, and 4 of ‘Dog Man’.
In this resource, your class will need to identify the misspelled word from the provided sentences, write the correct spelling, and then arrange the words in alphabetical order.
This resource is split 5 ways. Answers provided.Unlock Resource
Main Focus: Apostrophes
This activity has been designed to encourage your lower Key Stage 2 class to identify the reason for placing the apostrophe in the sentences.
Is the apostrophe used for contractions or possessions?
This resource is differentiated 4 ways.Unlock Resource